Sunday 15 September 2013

windows installer - Custom uninstaller for a WIX generated MSI -


I have an MSI that is being generated from the WIX script.

My question is similar to this

I want to create a custom uninstaller instead of using the default MSI Uninstaller.

I'm thinking of adding a custom action that executes after PublishProduct or goes before InstallFinalize and modifies the registry entry that specifies the uninstall string to be used.

I am not concerned about compatibility with SMS or similar products.

What do you think about this method?

It is not easy for whatever reason, the ARP does not respect uninstallation on the MSI package. Then to change it you have to set ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT and validate all the different upgrade and removal paths you would like to support at any time. Heath Stewart is related to this, which helps them calculate potential scenarios and common problems.

I believe this series was written in the MSI 3.x era, so it probably does not address any new concerns in Windows Vista or later, and MSI 4.5 patch-uninstall custom Could not take advantage of the action flag.


No comments:

Post a Comment