Tuesday 15 June 2010

How do I import an existing CVS module into a subdirectory of an existing git repository -


I am starting an old code project again, since I have a regular CVS in a new project I was already working on using Git. I still have access to the CVS archive, in the old project's module, so I just got to use the guit-cvsimport to achieve the history And going to go from there Was there. However, it is just creating a current GIT repository, it is entirely possible that I need to do this as a multistep process where I go to the CVS -> GIT repository and then get it in the current GIT repository Use something else for

This newproj / newsubdir ($ CVSROOT is already set correctly in my shell configuration):

  git cvsimport -k -o master -u -s \ --aa / documents / cvs-authors.txt archive proxy  

I have a new repository with proof commits (comments, timestamps, history) and HEAD where I want newproj / Newsubdir / .git / gives me

Would I wish that the historical CVS is for, as they are always in the new Provis / Newsburd / OldPage-file1, Newsprize / NewsBidir / OldPage-File2, etc. In my experience, GIT has magic to talk about this kind of thing, but I could not find a clear fit for my situation.

You have three options, all of them start cvsimport clean, so go ahead and do so Do it

  1. Repeat the repo as a submodule.
  2. Bring the repo to the current repo and merge it to join a subset of history.
  3. Do something similar to # 3, and then regulate the tree to reduce trees in chronological order throughout history.

Number one means that the external project is dependent on the interior, but maybe not desirable for you.

Number two is explained in this. It can be great for you.


But If you like a nice clean linear history, you can do # 3 and do good to them I did some time ago in a cleanup project. And still have a lot of documents and tools.

The basic idea was to separate all the changes in a patch history that will rebuild the changes. By default, this history is a type of repository order, but the script I mentioned in the post , Will rearrange the legs in a new sequence in chronological order.

The tree hash should tell you that you can not break anything other than 'Dynasty'.

Was I doing it again, I probably only exhaust one grants file and do a filter-branch .


No comments:

Post a Comment