Friday 15 July 2011

python - Looking for advice on how to develop applets for Gnome / Ubuntu -


I am a Linux (mostly Ubuntu) user with a proper understanding of how the system works (although I definitely do No from a Linux master!). In the past I have developed small cross-platform desktop applications in Python / GTK and I have distributed them to the clients as contained files traces, so that only dependencies are python and GTK.

Now, I want to develop a small applet for Ubuntu , that I would like to release under GPL 2 or 3.

Especially these new steps are I know I have to learn to achieve my goal (this is very possible there are some other Which is unknown to me, though!):

  • With integrated GNOME: I want to be available as an applet in my application workstation.
  • Using D-Bus: Specifically I want the OSD-notification framework for the new Ubuntu to my applet, but to communicate with other applets for other repetition There is also a potential feature.
  • Packaging: I would like to set up a public PPA application will reach the alpha stage, but I would also like to you

Of course the official The document will be my first source of knowledge, but - very useful answers based on my decision which I had received here - I decided to seek the additional advice such as the example:

  1. Based on your experience, will you advise me to learn those steps in advance (as the knowledge of those people will influence the way my core coding functionality) or do you have gnome / d Integration with -bus and packaging will consider the integration as "high encryption level", which can later be added to core functionality (note: D-Bus will only be used to push the data in the input Eta will be charged with a webservice)?
  2. Would you advise me to separate my package into two packages (back-end and front-end) or put together in one package?
  3. Do you know any useful source, can you advise me to learn anything?
  4. Are you aware of any common "beginning mistakes" I should know about this?

These questions do not have complete meaning, though: If you think that I am missing something from the general picture, then you are welcome to tell me in the right direction!

Thank you in advance for your time!

PS: Should I fail to explain my ultimate goal, but take a look: What I want to achieve is similar to the context of the user interface (which means: displaying the position of applet And should click on it to open the application, so you can configure the applet and perform various operations).

Well, you are on the list of pythons, so you pynotify . It wraps up DBS, and gives you a straightforward API to manipulate the OSD-notification system.

  & gt; & Gt; & Gt; Import Pineefact & gt; & Gt; & Gt; Pynotify.init ("Lil 'Applet") true & gt; & Gt; & Gt; Note = pynotify.Notification (... pynotify.get_app_name (), ... "Lill Applet wants you know something.", ... "/ usr / share / icons / human / 48x48 / status / dialog- Information.png ") & gt; & Gt; & Gt; Note. Shows () is true  

This shows a notification that looks like this:

  [] ** Lil 'applet ** [ ICON] [] Lil 'applet wants to know something about you  

No comments:

Post a Comment